Skip to main content

Create a constellation and the story behind it

"That's Krokódeilos," my dad said, pointing up at the sky. It was one of our astronomy nights where we went out into a large, clear field out in the country and stared up at the stars. 

"Is that a crocodile?" I asked.

"Since when did you learn Greek?" He looked impressed, but he should've known better.

"I didn't...it just sounds like crocodile." I didn't meet his eyes, I just squinted at Krokódeilos. I couldn't see the crocodile yet.

"Fair enough, kid," said my dad, chuckling slightly and turning his gaze back upwards.

"So what's the story behind Krokódeilos?"

My dad smiled, warm and wide. Astronomy was his passion. He always said if he was more suited to academia, he would've gone into it. But he just liked the learning, not so much the rest of it.

"Well, Krokódeilos was a crocodile goddess."

"Are there crocodiles in Greece?" I asked, rubbing my hands together to get them warm in the crisp and clean night air.

"No, there aren't--at least not natively." He shrugged, turning his gaze to me, "I mean I'm sure there are some in zoos nowadays."

"So how come they have a constellation named after one?" I inquired, turning to meet his gaze.

My dad huffed in a good-natured way. "If you'll let me tell the story, I'll let you know."

"Okay, but hurry up, it's getting too cold." This happened with many of our astronomy nights. I liked the peace and learning of it all and, I had to admit, spending the time with my dad, but it really did get cold.

"Krokódeilos is likely derived from an Egyptian deity, or so the scholars say. Certainly the exposure to crocodiles came from Egypt."

"That makes sense," I replied, turning to look back up at where my dad had pointed originally, squinting to try and see the crocodile shape.

"Krokódeilos was known as a protector of women," my dad shared, looking back at the constellation.

"Now that I can get behind. Who would mess with me if a crocodile was protecting me?"

"Who indeed?"

"Okay, keep going."

"Well this likely came from oddly maternal behavior that they display."

"Oddly, how?"

"Well reptiles are not known to be maternal, but Nile crocodiles, and American alligators, are known to care for their young to a certain extent. This makes them stand out and is perhaps what made such an impression on those who observed animals."

"Huh, okay. So what else did Krokódeilos do? How'd she end up in the stars?"

My dad looked back up at the sky. "Krokódeilos was also known as a protector of water. The stories say that in order to get a better view of the world and better protect all of the water and all of the women, she swam up the milky way and took her place in the stars. Her mouth is open, see there?"

I squinted again and saw what my dad was pointing to. I nodded softly.

"Well some say that her mouth is open because she's drinking in the stars, but most say it is a symbol of protection. Either flashing the threat of a bite or to let those she protects into her mouth, offering to carry them to safety."

"That's kind of beautiful," I said, my breath making little puffs in the air. "And badass."

My dad chuckled. "Come on, kid, let's get home. Krokódeilos will be waiting for us another night."

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

I took "Alligator Open Mouth - Connect the Dots for Kids" from Connect the Dots for Kids and modified it to look more like a constellation


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the