Skip to main content

Photograph all the yellow things you see in a day, and write something that incorporates them all

Disclaimer: I did not take photos of people who were wearing yellow and I'm sure I missed some yellow things throughout the 24 hours, but I did my best! I also didn't necessarily incorporate the exact object (e.g. if I saw a yellow book, I didn't necessarily incorporate that title, but I did incorporate a yellow book). I thought a lot about this piece (didn't edit it though), so I might've cheated on the time limit a bit (sorry, not sorry). Also, this page is where I got all of the color names. Happy to discuss this piece!

Daisy awoke and stretched. Today was the day. 

She moved aside the canary yellow book with the black stripe that she had been keeping with her day and night lately and grabbed her phone, knocking the pencil with the bright yellow brain eraser to the floor. Daisy picked it up and avoided her bad habit of chewing on it because today was the day.

Putting on her courtroom best, she still donned her lemon yellow rain boots with navy blue scotties on them--she would stash nicer shoes in her nice backpack. Her skirt was too tight to allow her to ride her butter yellow bike today, but she promised herself she would take a ride later--after the day was over and when the weather was better.

Daisy grabbed her umbrella and made her way past the safety yellow street signs by her apartment to a busier corner. She passed a cyber yellow flyer for the community play she still had two tickets to. She would need to find a new date to it. Plastered to the street signs was also an aureolin notification about route changes to her regular bus. She snapped a picture to remember for later.

Stopping at the Tuscany yellow newspaper box, Daisy decided to snag a free paper. She might need something to read as she waited. She had also skipped breakfast so she ducked into her local corner store and picked up a pineapple Jarritos and a Mr. Goodbar. It wasn't the healthiest breakfast, but today was special and a sugar rush felt right.

Daisy stood on faded yellow construction spray paint and hailed a cab. She wished she hadn't had to do it in the rain--could probably have called one from her apartment, but the idea of waiting made her antsy.

It seemed that the cab hit every yellow light, but that didn't discourage Daisy. Change was coming and that wasn't that what the yellow light meant anyways? The cab driver decided to pull over by the fire hydrant and the now honey yellow paint signaling it was not the place to pull over. Daisy quickly paid and jumped out of the cab, not wanting to get the driver in any trouble.

Crossing the mellow yellow grass, Daisy spied something on the ground. It was stray caution tape that was clearly now trash. Daisy threw it out just as a school bus full of kids pulled up to the courthouse. She smiled at the nearby coffee shop that displayed a student discount sign in their window. It was about to do a brisk business. Maybe after today, she would finally head back to school, Daisy thought idly.

A loud noise startled Daisy out of her educational thoughts. She saw Caterpillar construction getting to work on the new nearby library. Daisy made a mental note to keep a tab on this construction. She used to love going to libraries by herself.

Daisy walked into the courtroom and sat in the unmellow yellow chairs. She thought it was an odd choice for a courthouse, but it could be worse. Soon her lawyer met her. Her lawyer talked quickly as Daisy changed her shoes, handing her a flurry of forms that were highlighted with key points and places to sign. Daisy clicked on her lemon yellow pen and signed where her lawyer told her. 

The part in front of the judge was relatively painless. After leaving the courthouse, Daisy took a deep breath and let the sprinkling rain hit her skin for a moment before extending her umbrella.

Not worried about looking rumpled or being late now, Daisy waited for the bus. The bench ad was for a local realtor. Daisy would need to move soon, as she had agreed, so she jotted the number down in her phone. As she waited for the bus, she spied a mural she had never noticed before. 

It was of a bright sun shining down on a field of sunflowers. It made Daisy smile wider than she had in a long time.

When she got home, Daisy picked up her yellow rose stiff measuring tape and measured what she could put in the place of the license she'd taken down months ago. It was finally time to put something else up. Perhaps a painting of sunflowers, thought Daisy, daisies would be too on the nose.

She jotted down the measurements with a pen from her broken mug. She had loved that mug. It was beautifully hand-painted in Mexico and her husband had given it to her. In the midst of a fit of frustration, Daisy had thrown it to the ground and it had broken. In tears, Daisy had grabbed the first glue she could find and tried to reassumble it. But it was the wrong kind of glue. It bloated through the cracks in a very pale yellow ooze that hardened before Daisy could wipe it away. When she'd calmed down, she decided to make the mug a pen cup. That way she got to keep it, but in a new form.

Daisy looked down at her left ring finger, still wearing a gold ring. She was many things, but one thing she was was traditional.

But it was over now.

Daisy walked to her bedroom and took off her gold ring, placing it on the canary yellow book with the black stripe: Divorce for Dummies.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"repeatable template" by Marcu Ioachim


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the