Skip to main content

What has someone done for you that you want to pay forward?

I once had a bad date (well more than once, but this is a particular date). It was a live podcast taping, which is actually a fun idea for a date. However, the comedians started talking about suicide and, at the time, someone very close to me was suicidal. They also talked about like how to make it clean and just things that completely made me lose any airs of fun. Furthermore, I had gotten dressed up and hiked myself up to the north side and yet, my date didn't give me a single compliment. Not even a "you look nice" which is very basic and would've gone a long way. 

At the end of the taping, I quickly made my exit as I didn't know what to say. I called an Uber Pool (remember that) and climbed in. One of my friends texted that he was also having a bad night and so I called him. I expressed how the evening had made me uncomfortable and I felt like my date didn't appreciate my effort. I mean, I could've been home, in comfy pajamas watching Netflix but I had taken the time and expense to get dressed up and make my way to a place that was convenient for him for a show he wanted to see. I told my friend on the phone that the next time he was on a date that he should at least tell his date she looked nice because that would've made me feel a lot better.

During this call, someone else had joined the Uber Pool and had climbed in the front seat. I knew I was being a bit rude being on the phone, but my friend needed to talk and I needed to talk so I settled for being a bit rude. Then, the Uber pulled over at an apartment building, the stop for my fellow rider I assumed. The rider unbuckled his seat belt, turned to me and said, "Holly, you look really nice tonight."

I was stunned. I think I said, "Thank you," or something to that effect but I wanted to say so much more. I hadn't said to my friend on the phone the whole thing about how I had a loved one who was suicidal. I think I had mostly expressed that the date hadn't gone well and I wanted to have a little bit of appreciation for my effort (after all, I had thanked him for the tickets and arranging the date). But I wish I had said more to this fellow rider.

In my mind, I wish I'd chased after him to explain what that meant to me to explain that he didn't know what a kindness he'd done. But instead, I sat stunned with the driver who did the equivalent of a low impressed whistle.

I wrote the driver a note in my phone that I still keep, but haven't shared with anyone, but I suppose I'm sharing the gist now.

This one comment is something that I wish I could pay forward. To say the right thing to a stranger when they need it the most. I'm not sure I have the boldness to do such a thing or the perception to know when someone would be open to a stranger offering them comfort, but this moment made such an impression on me that I wish I could pass it along.

There are plenty of other things that friends have done for me that I try to pay forward, but this moment with a complete stranger is just something that I hold dear to my heart.

(Prompt provided by Eleanor Pratt)

"Uber About" by Dennis Sylvester Hurd


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the