Skip to main content

Create a character who believes they are the last human on Earth, only to discover they're not alone, part 1

Ivy wandered down the little town's Main Street again. She had grown to like this latest town that she'd come across. The remnants of quirky stores, not to mention wine-tasting rooms, left her discovering new items, feelings, and states of consciousness each day. She even wandered the town at night, something she never would've done in the before.

In the before, there were other people to be afraid of. Especially men. In the before, men were the ones you truly had to be afraid of if you were a woman alone at night. Yes, yes, #NotAllMen and yes, yes, women are--were--capable of cruelty and violence too, but that didn't change the fact that in the before men committed most violent crimes.

But that was the before.

In the now, Ivy could chug a bottle of blueberry wine--not as sweet as she was expecting--as she wandered down the dark street, gazing up at the stars.

Ivy wasn't sure why she was the only one left. Her best guess was that she had been deep in a museum's collection vault when it happened. She heard the clangs, the screams, the whooshes and stayed hidden amongst the preserved fishes of her city's natural history museum. The noises lasted for what seemed like hours, but she could never be sure as all clocks had stopped the moment they began. During that time, she faced a preserved coelacanth and looked into its eyes for comfort--she somehow eventually found it.

When she'd emerged after the world went silent, everyone was gone. Not gone as in dead or, at least, she couldn't be sure, but simply gone. It wasn't as though they'd been lifted out, at least not in a way Ivy could ascertain. No clothes, keys, or other personal possessions one might have on their person were left behind to at least hint as if someone else had been there.  She couldn't find another living human soul. 

At first, she'd cried, wept really. Then, survival mode kicked in. She found food in the museum's cafeteria and in the employee break rooms, took showers in the museum's locker room, and slept in the museum's exhibit about indigenous life in the Americas. She didn't leave the museum for some time--or so it felt. Ivy didn't know how electricity seemed to still be running, but so far it was. This was her first hope that someone else was there. Ivy eventually found her way to ComEd, but couldn't find anyone there.

Then, Ivy decided to travel, but only after she had become too bored of the museum and the city she was in. Maybe there were people elsewhere. The world was big, surely there was someone else.

But as she traveled, the more she gave into her whims. Ivy felt like trying on fancy clothes and leaving with red-bottomed shoes, a fur coat, and designer sunglasses only to climb into her own, somewhat run-down Toyota, so she did. Ivy felt like graffiting portraits of royals in art museums, so she did. Ivy felt like reading for days on end, so she did.

But her travels had brought her here, a small vacation town in the Midwest, drinking blueberry wine in excess and carrying around a large dragon plush.

A noise made her stop as she raised the bottle for another swig.

There weren't noises in the now. At least, not many.

Ivy was tempted to call out, but even in the before she had never understood why people would do that in movies.

Then, emerging around the corner was a man. A human man.

"Hello?" he called out.

Ivy dropped the bottle of wine. It shattered at her feet, splashing the dark liquid up so high that it splashed on the large dragon plush.

(Prompt by ChatGPT)

"Maria Ramos Urban Interface 2" by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Southwest Region


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the