Skip to main content

Snippets, eleven

Here are some short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently.

Budget

I am not great at budgets. I don't mean for work, I mean personally. It's so difficult because I'm not sure how to balance spending and self-care. Not all self-care costs money, but a lot does (a massage, a mani/pedi, a nice meal, going to a movie, going to visit friends, travel). How do I balance my need to save money with my need to get through this low time in my life? I don't want you to think that I'm dangerously low or anything, but a lot of things have been difficult for me lately so I want to treat myself. But I've been doing that too much and now my bank account is unhappy with me. In summary: adulting hard.

COVID

Well, well, well, if it isn't COVID coming around again? Thought you'd seen the last of COVID? Well that was just wishful thinking.

Recently, both of my parents have tested positive for COVID. My dad has recovered and my mom is doing well at the moment with an assist from Paxlovid, so don't worry excessively.

Luckily (and I emphasize luck), COVID is merely a nuisance for me and my family. 

My dad tested positive the same day I visited him (now, his care home had the responsibility to inform me that there was COVID on the floor and they utterly failed at this sending no forewarning nor warning me when I signed in or when I came up to his floor). Since I had had such a close exposure (though I was masked), I took precautions and canceled plans for the week. This did the opposite of a wonder on my mood. Again, I realize that COVID can be so so SO much worse, but for me, it was mostly a nuisance. The label of nuisance only came after I'd been assured that my dad was exhibiting no symptoms and said he was feeling fine (though he always says this). 

Just the other day, my mom tested positive. She is currently visiting my brother, sister-in-law, and brand-new nephew. So far, everyone else is negative and/or symptom-free (the baby hasn't been tested). This though disrupts my plans for visiting everyone. Will I ever get to meet my new nephew (logically, I know I will, but I am frustrated).

I'm glad that COVID, so far, is a nuisance and frustration rather than life-threatening news.

Insurance

Why does insurance always get me like this? Upset, crying, frustrated. Now, I know my experience with insurance is not unique, but I wish I could be stronger during these conversations. I told them I wanted to file a complaint, but I think they just listened to me try not to cry loudly while I outlined how I'd been misled twice. They chastised me, saying I should've called this extension to start out with. I attempted to demand to know how I was supposed to know this when no one had told me. They had no answer.

Now I am considering changing insurance plans. Not because I expect my strength against them to be fortified or to be misled less, but because a nurse told me a workaround for another plan. I hope next time I can be triumphant.

Productivity

So I have been weirdly productive today at work. Not that I don't try at my job, cause I definitely do, but rarely do tasks flow so smoothly together for me. I have a good balance of meetings and tasks to complete, of work time and down time, of stimulation and quiet. I can feel my brain buzzing pleasantly, wheels turning, but not grinding, stretches welcome breaks rather than out of boredom. I am glad for this and am trying to savor the feeling. Maybe writing about it will help me savor it even more.

I still have two meetings coming up today, but they should be productive. I also hope that a meeting I'm not attending addresses some concerns I have, but it's out of my control so I am letting it go.

I also have a date later tonight so I feel like I'm using all of my time effectively.

Today was a good, productive day.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"Budgeting" by 401(k) 2012. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the