Skip to main content

Begin a story with the line: "The clock struck thirteen, and everything changed."

The clock struck thirteen, and everything changed.

"Oh no," Raquel murmured, looking fearfully at the grandfather clock in the kitchen. "Oh no no no."

"What is it?" asked Raquel's younger sister, Angelique.

"Do you not hear the clock?" Raquel's voice was squeaky and pinched.

Angelique looked up at Raquel with her big gray eyes, the color of a stormy day. "Was it thirteen? Has the time finally come?"

"It was not meant to," muttered Raquel.

"But mother foretold it would. That was the deal."

"But the clocks never strike thirteen! I never thought the time would come."

"Mother would never make a deal where she did not end up paid," replied Angelique in an eerily calm voice.

"You must hide." Raquel grabbed Angelique roughly and shoved her toward the dumbwaiter. "Get in."

"We must pay Mother," stated Angelique simply. Her voice taking on a slightly automated tone.

"What? How can you say that? Do you not know what price mother demands?"

"It's alright, it only has to be one of us." Angelique's head tilted slightly too far to the left.

"What are you?" Raquel demanded, "Angelique would never speak this way."

"Oh, I think you know, dear Raquel." Angelique--or whatever was in her place--faced Raquel. "You are the one who made the contract. You knew the terms. I have taken my fee."

"No!" screamed Raquel with all her might. "I made the contract, take me, not Angelique."

"Angelique was there, she signed the contract in her own blood as well and of her own free will."

"She was a child!"

"Details," waived Mother in Angelique's body. "Anyone who is of an age where they are aware of their soul--as Angelique was--can sign a contract."

"But it was I who sought the contract. I demand that you take me."

"Demand?" cooed Mother in Angelique's body. "Who are you to demand?"

"What--when will you release her?" asked Raquel.

"You know the terms."

"When the clock strikes thirteen a second time."

"Indeed."

"But you decide when the clocks strike so!"

"Perhaps."

"This was not a fair deal," cried Raquel.

"Fair? When did I claim it would be fair my dear, dear Raquel?" The look in what used to be Angelique's eyes was a mix of wonderment and guile.

"I did not--"

"You did not question when you received your end of the bargain, hm? You were spirited away from that wretched man who claimed to be your father, though he did not treat you as such. I provided you and your sister with your own home, your own means of independence, your own wealth. Did I not?"

"You did, but--"

"And all I demand in exchange is some time in one of your bodies."

"To do what with?" demanded Raquel, though her voice was beginning to show signs of defeat.

"Why, that is up to my own discretion. This body is much younger and more beautiful than the one I was using before. I think I shall have quite the time with it."

"Is...is Angelique still in there?"

Mother in Angelique's body tilted her head a bit too far to the right, "Yes, though you could say she is sleeping."

"So am I just to wait by this infernal clock for her return?"

"Yes. Though you will retain the means to do otherwise."'

"I didn't ask about that."

"In words? No, but I heard your thoughts."

"I will wait."

"So you say."

"I will!"

"Well, then I shall see you at the next strike of thirteen." And then Mother in Angelique's body was gone in the blink of an eye.

"I will," repeated Raquel to herself. She stared at a chair that had been pulled up to the clock.

(Prompt by ChatGPT)

"Clocks" by Giallo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the