Skip to main content

Snippets, fifteen

Here are some short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently.

Anesthesia

I will be undergoing anesthesia for an upcoming medical procedure. Not full anesthesia, just twilight sleep, but still I required an extra consult because of my BMI. I understand that because I'm a larger size that I may need more medication, but I've also learned that BMI is kinda not reliable so I wonder why they don't just say because of my weight there is a concern. I am also nervous about anesthesia because I was told I could wake up during it. I was told I'd be calm and maybe just feel cold. But I'm worried that I will be out of control.

Books

I love my books, but I have been neglecting some of them. Some have been languishing in boxes at my parents' house for who knows how long. I rediscovered them by sorting through which ones to keep. I decided to keep most (who is surprised?), but a few I decided could find new homes. They were books I either didn't remember or remembered for all the wrong reasons. One book my mom and I even threw away because the author is so repugnant. I do feel a bit bad about that still. It's not the book's fault its author is repugnant, but I couldn't in good consciousness pass along the words of such a man (of course it's a man, though don't get me wrong, there are plenty of repugnant female authors too). I cannot wait to incorporate my books back into my current collection. I hope to loan some out.

Christmas Tree

I need to take down my Christmas tree. My mom took hers down just the other day and said it made her sad because the ornaments, many from happy times passed, make her feel like she's visiting with her parents or with me and my brother's younger selves. I don't have quite that connection to my Christmas tree, but it still makes me sad to take it down. My ornaments, as quirky and varied as they are, all bring me joy. The scent of pine relaxes me. The D&D dice lights make me smile. I know I need to take it down, it's dry, and shedding needles and tree recycling only lasts so long, but still I do not want to. I like visiting with my ornaments, if only for a moment longer.

Dogsitting

I love dogs. I am currently dogsitting a friend's dog so I have two dogs at the moment. How lovely it is to cuddle two dogs at once. It's difficult to get them both to settle at the same time, but when they do it is just heaven. I feel so loved and calm when I'm cuddling both dogs as though my worries melt away. I do still get nervous sometimes when they play rough because of how I lost my previous dog, but that has almost completely faded. Mostly, I get joy out of watching my dog with his best dog friend. If I had a house with a yard, I probably would have a second dog, but until then I will settle for occasionally dogsitting.

Pennies

I have five pennies in my wallet. I know this because I tried to use them in a vending machine, which summarily rejected them by allowing them to just plink down as soon as I inserted them. I feel as though vending machines should be required to take pennies. They seem a prime use for pennies, but, alas, no. What will I do with these five pennies? I rarely pay cash for anything and when I do, I often use a big bill and get too flustered by people waiting behind me to try and dig out coins to make pleasing change (like paying a penny more so you get a nickel back instead of four more pennies). I wonder when we'll discontinue the penny. I always found them pleasing to look at, at least when they're shiny, but now that I have five constant companions of them, I wonder how long they'll be relevant.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"Lan anesthesia" by ReSurge International. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the