Skip to main content

Snippets, sixteen

Here are some short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently.

Inspiration

I've been lacking inspiration lately. While I'm sparking some with my one shot (see below and other posts), it's been difficult to find a story idea I feel like writing. Most of my D&D ideas come from other media so it's kind of a rip off. For works I want to publish, I want to have something original, but when I think about what's original, my mind just goes blank. People ask what writing I'm working on and I just don't know. I want to publish a book one day, but I just don't have an idea. I have some pieces about my dad that I could string together, but they're only thematically connected (and one of my favorites blatantly uses "American Pie" as the skeleton which makes it [probably] unpublishable). If you have advice or prompts that might spark some inspiration for me, please send them my way. While I like doing these "Snippets," they usually aren't my favorite pieces.

One Shot

I love D&D. It's one of my favorite creative outlets that I use regularly. It's like telling a story with friends. I guess in some ways it is a more complex version of mafia (the game), which I love being the narrator for. I've been polling people lately on my one shot ideas and so far only one person has picked my favorite. I guess it's telling that I have a favorite already. Perhaps I should stick with the one shot idea that is my favorite, but I want people to enjoy the one shot so I also want to see what other ideas people like. If you're curious about my one shot, please just let me know and I will happily point you to all of the blog posts that contain the materials (some are still in progress though). Also, if you're interested in trying D&D just let me know and I'll get you into a one shot group!

Period

Per my doctor's instructions, I have gone off the birth control pill. I went on it and have gone off it for the same reason: egg retrieval. I am meant to get my period now, but I await it anxiously. I don't often get periods anymore based on the birth control implant I've had, so some of my anxiety comes from just vaguely remembering that I hated periods. However, some anxiety comes from the fear that it won't come at all. What if I don't get my period and things don't work out? I feel some stirrings in my abdomen that feel like familiar beginnings to cramps. I monitor them and rejoice in them (at least until they grow more painful which, hey, maybe they won't) for they mean, I hope, that the process is working. I don't know why I have such doubts about the process working, but I think it's my anxiety planning for the worst case scenarios.

Roses

I love the smell of roses, but I don't know why. I can't think of an inspirational point in my life where roses featured. Yes, I did get them at prom and yes I believe that is the only time a guy has bought me roses (though I suspect it was at his mom's behest). I do believe that when my grandmother took my brother and me to London she bought me a set of sampler perfumes from a fancy fragrance store and my favorite one was 'Elizabethan Rose.' It's become somewhat of a signature scent for me and most of my friends recognize my perfume roller's 'Tea Rose' scent. I don't mind smelling like roses, I obviously choose it and enjoy it, but I just wonder how I got here. Most floral scents aren't my favorite and while I love the smell of roses, I think lilac is my favorite flower scent. Though, I'm not sure I want to smell like lilacs (but I've also never seen lilac perfume, though I'm sure it exists). What is your favorite scent?

Three Dogs

I am currently taking care of three dogs. To some, this may seem like a lot, but I am also in a house with a yard so it's really not so bad. One of the dogs is mine and the other two belong to friends. One of my friends' dogs is so sad and it makes me a bit sad. He just misses his people so much. When he got dropped off, he figured out what was happening and tried to block the door from closing. He has now refused breakfast and often sits near the window to look out for his people returning. The other two dogs (again, one of whom is mine) do cuddle with me and there is something very pleasant, cozy, and loving about being smashed between two dogs in bed (especially on these colder days). If I ever have a house with a yard, I think I would consider having more than one dog because when I'm cuddling multiple dogs, I think "this is good for my soul."

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"Writer's Block I" by Drew Coffman. Attribution 2.0 Generic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the