Skip to main content

Snippets, eighteen

Here are some short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently.

Postcards

Whenever I say I'm in the mood to write postcards, I truly mean it. I don't mind if you never write back, I genuinely enjoy writing the cards. I also, one day, want to get through the huge reserve of postcards that I have. I think that'd be so satisfying (but right now I have easily over 100). I'm not sure why I like writing them so much, but I guess I see it as a tangible way to show people I'm thinking about them and spread some joy in this world. I don't write much in a postcard (I don't think anyone does), but I hope it's always enough to help make someone's day.

So, please, when I post about wanting to write postcards, let me send you one.

Requests

I have several unanswered friend requests on Facebook. I usually leave people in limbo when I honestly don't know if I want them to be my Facebook friend or not. I don't want to say absolutely not, but I also don't know if I want them to see my life (and I live a lot of my life online). One old request I have is an old teacher of mine who relocated overseas. I am curious about his life, especially as it seems sort of dramatic, but I also don't know why he sent the request. Others are mostly people I used to know. I certainly don't wish them ill (if I did, I would reject their requests and block them promptly), but I just don't know them anymore (and, in some cases, never really did know them). I leave them in limbo because I think one day I'll figure it out and have some sort of revelation about each one, but I also feel like if I accept a request now, some people will be shocked by the notification as they sent their requests years ago.

So, for now, I leave them in limbo.

Sick

I'm writing this while sick and man, it's been a while since I had a cold. Now I say a cold because I've taken three COVID tests and they're all negative. I have, as of the time of writing this, taken two days off of work, but I may have to take more. It's just difficult to focus on anything while I'm doing this. Sure, I've gotten some tasks done around the house, but nothing that requires brain power. 

Each time I get a cold I also marvel at the sheer amount of snot my body is able to produce. Just like, how? I have been taking it easy but still trying to get some things done and get outside (because the weather has been amazing). But I am starting to get bored.

Tidying

Boy did I need to tidy. I have let my apartment get to be a pretty big mess. I just let some things go when I was going through my egg retrieval process (from injections through recovery) and I just haven't had the energy or motivation to get things tidy again. But today (the day I'm writing this), I managed to do some tidying. I got rid of a big box I've had propped against a wall for a while, I finally (yes, finally) took down my Christmas tree, I folded laundry, and I did some dishes. Now I realize people do this all the time, but it feels good to take some control again. I'm also proud of doing it while sick. I was honestly looking for small tasks that didn't require brain power and that I could rest in between doing and these tidying tasks fit the bill perfectly.

How do you motivate yourself to tidy?

White Dress

I am shopping for a white dress. No, I'm not getting married, I'm playing a character named Riley White in my murder mystery birthday party. I have one white dress at the moment, but I honestly feel kind of frumpy in it and I'm not sure I should even keep it. But I've also gained weight recently so buying stuff is a bit of a touchy thing for me. I like getting new clothes as I find it exciting, but I get so down on myself when they don't fit (which is pretty often). I think I know which one I'm going to buy, but what size? I guess I could measure myself, but I feel like that will make me feel worse. But then again, wouldn't getting a dress that doesn't fit make me feel even worse?

I hope for my party I can have a white dress that makes me feel at least like my character (who is the mayor of the fictional Bloodworth Falls) and, hopefully, makes me feel at least somewhere on the attractive scale.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"Postcard wall" by eperales


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the