Skip to main content

A day in the life of a concrete dolphin

The gentle sound of chalk scraping across pavement brings us to life. The talented artists draws me and my pod of dolphins, happily leaping across the sidewalk.

It's good to be back. Apparently, we're one of the more popular drawings he does. He certainly must have some more unique pieces than us, but passersby sure seem to love us based on the number of coins they drop into his hat.

We see a lot during our day. Earlier in the morning, we see curious faces peak over the artist's shoulder as we come to life. They often don't want to stand too close, perhaps afraid that they'll disturb his process. But after he's cleared away to go and draw life into others, we get a lot more faces taking us in.

Some smile and the joy of us mid-jump across the ground. Others snap a quick picture on their phones and carry on about their day (they do always manage to get our good side, because that's all the artist drew after all). And some don't seem to notice us, or perhaps have become too used to our presence and walk across us. But we leave a fine dusty mark on their feet, just so they can remember us later.

The smilers are the best. It's a wonderful feeling for a concrete dolphin to know you've brought some joy into someone's day. Sure, some of them were already having a great day, but you know some weren't.

We may not get to splash around in the ocean like real dolphins, but we also don't have to fear sharks or a poorly placed fishing net or pollution beyond the occasional bit of litter. We get to take in the marvelous city and see many faces as people bustle about. We get to hear the fine (and sometimes not so fine, have you heard the guy who does karaoke?) buskers who flood the streets with their music or the clack of their shoes as they dance. Really, there's no better place to be.

There is, sadly, a few downsides to being a concrete dolphin. One is obviously the constant threat of rain. The typical mist won't drive us away, but when it rains, our faces get washed away, becoming no more than a grainy smear on the pavement. We then have to wait again for the artist and he has to wait until the ground is dry enough to bring us to life once more.

But that is the nature of our ephemeral existence. If the rain doesn't take us, eventually enough feet of the passersby do. We will smudge and then fade away into the pavement with only the little bits of us clinging to shoes before we're shaken off throughout the city.

It's not so bad though. All it will take for us to drink in another day is for the artist to come back. And so far, he always has. We get to take in the faces of the people who enjoy us and know that we've gotten him a little bit of coin. It's a pretty good spot in life.

As the day goes on, we get to see some repeat faces. Usually we get second smiles, but we also manage to get some first ones. Now that people have taken care of their errands they feel freer to dally and look around.

As the day draws to a close, the rain clouds start to gather. Looks like it's our queue to go, until the artist draws again.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica