Skip to main content

Angel Tours' first trip out on the newly restored boat

"All aboard," called Mike. He was the newly minted captain of the newly christened Angel Tours boat. For so long it had been this rusted piece of junk just floating in some shallow water. Tourists seemed to get a kick out of it, coming up to it and snapping photos. It was then that Angel Tours had the idea to restore the boat. At first, they just bought the boat and put up their logo, figuring it would get some some cheap advertising since it would end up in so many people's photos.

After years, the boat had finally been restored and Mike was excited to take her out onto the bay. they had decided to make the first trip a fairly small group. Not that the boat could ever have a very large group, but first trips usually have their quirks, so having fewer passengers seemed like a good idea.

Mike helped an older couple onto the boat first, followed by a father and young son, and then by a woman he guessed was a tourist from the size of her camera. After he had gone over the basic safety information and had people put on their bright orange life vests, he had a few more words to say. "I hope you're all excited to be the first people out on this new boat. I know I'm excited to be her captain, so let's get going."

Mike took the boat out into the bay, quickly leaving the Spanish Arch behind them and moving into larger waters. The older couple seemed to be particularly fond of looking out over the scenery, taking in the grandness of the mountains and the vastness of the ocean. They sat together, lovingly holding hands and pointing out different parts of the natural beauty to one another. Mike found them very sweet.

The father was having a bit of trouble keeping his young son in one place. He kept running back and forth from one side of the boat to another trying to make, from what Mike could tell, whale noises. He was pretty sure he was right because soon he heard the boy asking his father, "But Daaaaadd, how else will the whales hear us and know we want to meet them?" The father smiled at his son and ruffled his hair before calmly explaining that the whales couldn't hear them from so far away, but what if they looked more at the sea birds? The boy seemed a little disappointed, but he also seemed to understand. The father and his son then found a spot at the front of the boat to watch the birds swooping and soaring.

The lone woman was rather quiet, but that made sense as everyone else was paired off, except for Mike but he was working. She constantly raised her camera to her eyes and snapped several photos in a row. She seemed to be taking everything in, the fresh paint and logo on the boat, the sweeping beauty of their surroundings, the way the water seemed alive as it rose and fell and rippled, the sea birds swooping and diving and calling out to them. She even seemed to want to photograph the people on the boat by the way she would look at them, half raise her camera, and then put it down. Mike understood. The older couple was the picturesque epitome of kindness and wonder. The father and his son had their faces lit with excitement at being out on the water. And Mike hoped that he at least looked like a man who knew what his job was and was proud to be doing it.

Before too long, it was time to dock again. As Mike secured the boat, he heard everyone chatting amiably with one another about how great the trip was. Mike smiled to himself before turning around to announce that it was now safe to disembark. Each passenger shook his hand, gave him a smile, and told him they'd pass on a recommendation for Angel Tours to people they knew.

Angel Tours' new boat was off to a great start.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica