Skip to main content

On being American in Ireland in the age of Trump, part 1

My accent immediately gives me away as an American here (although one man did tell me that my accent wasn't so strong, but perhaps he was being kind). So far no one has directly asked me what I think of the monstrosity who is referred to as our 45th president. However, it's hard to avoid him entirely.

I'm always afraid that I will run into someone who doesn't see the festering cesspool for what he is. I'm new to Galway and I'm not entirely sure of what the political balance is here. So far, I have managed to avoid anyone who supports him or even thinks he's just not that bad, but I do feel always a bit of unease when I first bring him up. In Chicago, I never had that unease. We hate the dirtbag and the few guys I was on dates with who told me he wasn't so bad, did not hear from me pleasantly again.

I was also heartened to hear that the baby balloon will be coming over since the trash filled sack has made plans to cross the pond again. However, the best story has to be hearing that he has a golf course in county Clare that people walk their dogs by. And, of course, as they walk their dogs they toss their dogs' poop right onto the golf course. These are my kind of people.

Still, I have had to answer a few questions about how our government even works. Some people are a bit confused about how he lost the popular vote, but still won the presidency. I also have one person ask me about how many political parties we have.

I expect that these questions won't go away and, in fact, I expect they'll increase during the November elections. The rest of the world seems so much more aware of our government's actions than many Americans.

I also expect some questions since today I joined the Failte Refugees society on campus. While I may have joined this society no matter who had been elected, how our sadistic vileness has treated refugees and immigrants has certainly spurred me to find ways to help where I can. I'm not sure if people will ask me, or any other Americans in the group, any questions directly, but I can't imagine the US will skate by without mention.

It was also a bit odd to be here on 9/11. While not a huge deal is made now (or so I feel) in the US since it has been 17 years, it was a bit odd to hear no one mention it.

I also sadly anticipate the US having a tragedy or taking an egregious action while I'm here. On top of the mourning and anger, I think that will be an odd thing for me as an individual abroad. I recall studying abroad in Cork when the Sandy Hook shooting happened and it was like grieving around people who were unaware of anything being so terribly wrong. I couldn't find the normal places to reach out like I could in the US. News was on an odd timeline for me given the time difference.

It was suggested that I do this same prompt later in the year and I think that's a good idea. Right now I'm mostly thinking about all the ways I could be affected or questioned or viewed, but with it being so early, most of that is pure speculation.

I suppose it's also good to speculate on what could happen if something positive happens. What if this terrible excuse for a leader actually gets ousted? He could be historic, which is all he really wants. It would be the first time we forced a president out. I imagine here there would be celebrations and I would get asked only questions like, "how happy are you right now?" Ah yes, that would be great.

One final note on being an American here. I'm constantly being struck by things we do so much worse (like providing affordable education) but also by things we do better (it was way too recent that you needed a prescription for condoms here). The International Students Office here suggests we try to just look at things as different rather than decide something is better, and while I agree that isn't how everything should be viewed, I do think there is a time and place for that sort of judging.

(Prompt by Betsy Rubin)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica