Skip to main content

Con tempo draft


The Call of the Crow

I pretend to do be doing yoga as I lie on to top of my fluffy blanket. Looking up over my pale, freckled forehead, I can see a strip of sky from the two paned window above my bed. The wisps of clouds are nearly coalescing into something beautiful and bigger than themselves. I wait for them to become some magnificent shape, like I remember clouds being when I was young, back when they formed all the images from the stories and dreams in my head. But they remain little stringy meshes moving quickly on the wind, like if flavorless cotton candy had been pulled apart and set out on a breeze.

The caw, caw, caws of the crow in one of the trees behind the concrete wall just beyond my window serenade me and my attention. I want to see what the commotion is, but the yoga video playing softly on my laptop says I’m only half way through, so I don’t more than glance at the small block of sky I can see. The chorus of cacophonous calls is somehow more melodic to me than the plinking sounds playing behind the instructor who hushingly tells me to breathe deeply and relax.

What was one bird quickly becomes a symphony. I even see some darts of dark wings across my bit of blue-filled vision. How many they are, or even if they are all crows, I cannot say. I’m supposed to be focusing on my breathing in time with my stretches. But the drama of the unseen birds somehow feels more important than my stiff back or the ache in my shoulder.

The yoga on my bed isn’t much of a workout, but it’s better than idly laying on my bed, which feels like what I mostly do. Besides, a cold is clawing at my throat so I should be taking it easy, finding some peace and quiet I tell myself. But the black winged creatures squawk and sing again, tempting me to give up. I take a long breath and feel my lungs struggle with the depth of it all.

Thinking I’ve contented myself to making stories in my head, I decide that the birds are trying to give me a sign of some kind. My most beloved professor told me once that I should listen when animals try to talk to me, that once we all knew how to hear the natural world, but that we’d lost it. If I’m still, she said, I could maybe regain it. I try and twist my head without moving out of my pose to get at least a glimpse of the birds cavorting in the trees, at least a snapshot to see what they’re trying to tell me. I wriggle my neck from side to side, worsening the ache in my shoulder, but all I see is blue sky and the rock pocked edges of my apartment walls.

When I’m finally released from the yoga video, I spin up onto my knees and look out my window. Surely now, I will see these creatures who had captivated me so. I look at the leafless, bare trees and find that only a few members of the chorus remain, staring into the now clear fall day. Silent.

Maybe one day I’ll see their song and understand, I sigh. But, for today, I turn my back on them and idly sink deeply back into the softness of my silent bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica