Skip to main content

Brighton House

Mayor Paulsen was nervous to start the auction. She cleared her throat and nervously checked her watch again: 12:01pm, officially time to start. "Thank you all for gathering here at the Brighton House on the longest day of the year. We have decided it's time to put the Brighton House up for auction."

The crowd shifted a bit nervously as Mayor Paulsen paused and looked back at her speech. "We know that this house has been haunted for some time, but now that the last owner has passed and didn't leave a will or any living relatives, something needs to be done with the house. So we decided that the city should put it up for auction and we were hoping--"

A large creaking noise from the house behind her interrupted her. A few people ran form the crowd, but Mayor Paulsen continued on, "that since it's the summer solstice there would be enough light to prevent any malevolent spirits--"

"Excuse me!" came a voice from right beside the mayor, but at first no one could see anything. Then, all at once, a misty appeared and coalesced into the figure of a young man in late 19th century clothing. "Most of us spirits are quite proper fellows. It's rude for you to assume we are malevolent simply because we are spirits."

Overcoming her shock as quickly as she could, Mayor Paulsen began to stammer, "Oh-no-I-I didn't mean to suggest--"

"That's not what she said, Bernard," came a new voice from the mayor's other side. Again, a spirit appeared, this time she looked to be an old woman from the 60s. "The nice girl was just trying to take precautions in case there were any malevolent spirits."

"It still was rude for her--"

"Oh hush up, Bernanrd, you're no fun."

Mayor Paulsen, while she knew Brighton House had been haunted, was still dumbstruck as the ghosts appearing right next to her. She also was surprised at home much of the crowd was still there. Most, of course, were recording the moment. "I-uh-it's nice to meet you both, my name is Mayor Paulsen--"

"Yes, dear, we spirits do know a thing or two," the old woman said, winking. "Now though, Bernard did have a point that you should've thought to consult us spirits before putting this house up for auction."

"Here, here," said Bernard.

As Mayor Paulsen's brain stalled trying to think of something to say, she heard a gasp from her constituents in front of her. She whipped around and saw an even larger crowd of the town's past constituents, all in ghostly forms. Clearly, thinking sunlight would prevent any apparitions was folly.

"Well, of course we would like to include you all in the discussion," Mayor Paulsen managed.

"Include! Ha! This is our home and you dare to say it is up for auction."

"Oh, Bernard, you really need to calm down," the old woman said, "What he means to say of course, dear mayor, is that we would like to continue to live here and we have met and come to an agreement as to what the home should be."

"I...I am all ears."

***

Three months later, Mayor Paulsen cut the ribbon on The Brighton House Museum featuring authentic ghost tour guides from the town across the decades. All proceeds were to go to upkeep of the house or to whatever the ghosts wanted.

Mayor Paulsen just hoped they stayed so organized.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica