Skip to main content

School economy

"So the first thing you're gonna have to know about this school is the economy of it," Richard said conspiratorially as he led Mackenzie through the halls. Richard had somehow been roped into being the guide to new students.

"What, like cigarettes or something?" scoffed Mackenzie. She thought Richard was just screwing with her--she was the new kid after all.

"Pfft, no. This isn't prison."

Mackenzie looked around at the small windows and stark walls and then gave Richard a look complete with a raised eyebrow.

"Okay," he admitted, "it's a bit like prison, but really the economy runs on shirt pockets."

"Shirt pockets?"

"Yeah we use them like money here. You can save them up and trade them for other school supplies. The rarer the item, the more shirt pockets you need."

"So do you all just make shirt pockets in home ec or something? Does this school even have home ec?"

"No, I don't think so. At least not for a long time."

"So then how do you all get the shirt pockets?"

"We steal 'em," smirked Richard.

"Steal? From where?"

"Seems like you need a demonstration." Richard looked around the halls for a good target and spied George. Ah, poor George. This will be his third shirt pocket stolen this week. Richard briefly thought of picking another target, but George was just so easy.

Richard signaled for Mackenzie to stay still as he walked up behind George. In a quick movement, Richard reached down George's sweater and ripped off one of his shirt's pockets.

"Aw, come on, man," whined George.

"Sorry," waved Richard with the shirt pocket, "Had to make a point." Richard walked back over to Mackenzie. "See?"

"That's insane." Mackenzie honestly still wasn't sure if Richard was screwing with her.

Richard kindly handed over George's shirt pocket, "Here, have it. Consider it a welcome present."

Mackenzie looked at the shirt pocket that felt awkwardly damp. Gross, she thought. "Uh thanks. I guess."

"Now," said Richard as he continued the tour of the school, "you want to start saving those up. One shirt pocket won't get you much here."

"What will it get me?"

"Probably just a dry erase marker. In your choice of color though, of course."

"And what might I want to save up for?"

Richard paused as they reached Enid's locker. There was a crowd around it with students talking quietly. "Well," Richard said gesturing to Enid, "she's taking bids right now for a swipe machine."

"A swipe machine?"

"Yeah. We have to swipe in to school in the morning for attendance and also swipe to get lunch. The other day, one wouldn't take Enid's card so she punched it off the wall. Now, there are quite a few bids in for it."

Mackenzie blinked at him. "Okay, now I'm sure you're screwing with me."

"What? No. Hey--hey, Enid!" Richard called to Enid above the crowd gathered around her.

"Yeah, what's up, Dick?"

"Ha ha, very funny. Enid."

"What do you want?" she asked, trying to listen to him above the others around her.

"What's the high bid right now?"

Enid smiled, "Fifty shirt pockets, you wanna try and top it?

Richard whistled, "Oooh, too rich for my blood." He turned back to Mackenzie as he continued down the hall, "See?"

"But...why would you want a swipe machine?"

Richard shrugged, "To have it. No one has managed to get one before."

Mackenzie was frustrated, "But is there anything useful in this so called "economy"?" Mackenzie used air quotes for emphasis.

"Well, there are all the school supplies you want. Sometimes people manage to snag food from the cafeteria or test answers or...once...one of the frogs before it was dissected."

"What?"

"Well there have also been several post-dissection, but those tend not to go for as much."

"This school is insane," Mackenzie sighed just as another girl started to reach for her shirt pocket. Mackenzie was too quick for her and smacked her hand away.

"Ah, you'll be fine."

(Prompt by RuairĂ­ Kennedy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica