Skip to main content

Spanish class

Rose stared at the little community center flyer. It was bright yellow, so it'd caught her eye. The flyer was for Spanish classes at the community center. Rose had been volunteering there since she'd retired a year ago, but hadn't actually thought about taking a class before. Sure she had helped with set up and take down of classes, had arranged supplies, and had even cleaned up after some. But there hadn't been any classes that had caught her eye.

But this Spanish class really appealed to her. A few weeks ago Rose had decided to finally cross an item off of her bucket list: visit Machu Picchu. The planned trip also took her through Ecuador and Colombia, because Rose didn't see the point of going all the way to another continent without seeing more than one country. Of course, Rose would also be spending time in Peru outside of Machu Picchu. Now, while she had booked a tour guide for a good part of it, Rose was feeling nervous that she didn't know a bit of Spanish.

Well, no more Spanish than being able to say hello and goodbye at least. It's not that Rose thought the class would make her fluent, but Rose thought she could probably learn the pleasantries as well as how to ask basic questions like "Where is the bathroom?" or "How do I get to the bus?" or "How much does this cost?"

So, that evening Rose sent an email to the address listed on the flyer. Rose had taken one of the little tabs off of the flyer just in case the photo on her phone didn't save properly. She was happy to receive a prompt reply saying she was one of the first to sign up.

When the first day finally came, Rose was a bit giddy. She had bought herself new school supplies and had even taken a first day of school selfie (her niece had told her it was a thing to do). She happily walked into the community center and waved to her fellow volunteers as she went to the classroom.

She was the first one there, but soon the instructor showed up. He was also an older gentleman and smiled kindly at her. But as the clock ticked to start time, Rose was a bit sad to see that only one other student had showed up. The other student was a bit younger than her, but not by much. She smiled brightly at Rose and took out her notebook too.

The instructor, Davíd, kindly greeted them both and they all chatted about what they hoped to get out of the class. The instructor shared that it was his first time teaching, but he was glad to have people sign up. The other student, Irene, said that she'd learned some Spanish long ago, but wanted to try and remember it. Rose was a bit sheepish to share that she had never really learned another language, but she wanted to be able to converse on her upcoming trip. Davíd, luckily, was equally excited about both of their reasons for being there.

As the weeks went on, Irene was clearly excelling over Rose, but Rose kept trying. Irene, probably because she'd done Spanish before, had a much easier time pronouncing Spanish than Rose. Rose wanted to be better at it, but it just didn't come naturally to her. She spent time watching YouTube videos and speaking at home, but she still knew she wasn't as good as Irene.

When her trip finally came up, Rose was a bit nervous. She didn't want to embarrass herself or say anything offensive to anyone. When she landed, she saw that she had a text from Davíd that read:
Buena suerte, Rosa. Lo haras bien.

Rose smiled to herself. She had understood every word.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the