Skip to main content

Still grebs

"What are you calling about, man?" grumbled Felix. He had wanted to sleep in now that it was the weekend, but Harry had woken him up with a series of phone calls. Normally, Felix would've ignored a call at this hour, but it was hard to ignore the fifth one in a row.

"It's grebs!" shouted Harry.

"Grebs?" asked Felix. It had been a bit hard to hear Harry--it sounded like there was a large crowd around him.

"Yes! They've invaded Galway! Come quick, we have to fight them off!"

Felix vaguely remembered the discussion of grebs with Lily a little while ago, but he'd been hoping that Harry would've dropped the topic by now. There were some things Harry wasn't meant to know.

"What are you on about?" asked Felix, wiping some sleep from his eyes.

"Check your WhatsApp messages, I sent you a video."

"Okay, one sec." Felix took the phone away from his ear and opened up WhatsApp. There were a ton of messages from his grad school friends, but he ignored those and went to look at what Harry had sent him. After a series of:
Felix, wake up!
Wake up!
Wake up!
there was a video. It was only 30 seconds long, but it showed the Spanish Arch with dozens of Galwegians armed with a variety of things like hammers and bats, but also frying pans and brooms. The Galwegians were attacking what looked to be a swarm of purple ants.

"It's too early," grumbled Felix, still wishing he was asleep.

"But we've got to defend our city, Felix! We can't let the grebs take over."

"I thought you just said you believed in grebs to mess with Lily."

"Well, yeah," defended Harry, "but they're clearly real and...and I think Lily is a greb."

"Dammit," muttered Felix. "Come meet me at my house and we'll go over there together."

"Okay, yeah sounds good. I'll see you soon."

Felix ended the call and, grumbling the whole time, got ready. "It's too early," he repeated to himself.

***

Harry arrived a short while later and Felix let him in. Harry looked harried and was gripping his large umbrella.

"What do you expect to do with that?" asked Felix, letting him in.

"I can use it as a sword," replied Harry, swinging the umbrella to demonstrate his perceived skill.

Felix just nodded and led Harry into the kitchen. "Do you want anything?"

"No, man, we gotta go! The grebs are holding their own."

Felix nodded, but poured himself a glass of water. "So what makes you think Lily is a greb?"

Flustered and frustrated, Harry shoved his phone at Felix so he could read their conversation. "Dammit," muttered Felix again as he read: We are legion.

"So she's a greb, right? What else could if mean?"

Trying to think of a reason, Felix said, "Did you ever think she was maybe just having a bit of fun with you?"

"Well maybe, but there really are grebs invading the city, so why couldn't she be a greb?"

Felix just nodded, "Okay, let's go."

Harry led the charge to the door and Felix picked up a frying pan. "We'll get those nasty little grebs," vowed Harry as he opened the door.

In one quick motion, Felix swung the frying pan and hit Harry over the head. "Now, we can't have that, can we?"

***

Harry blinked and tried to remember what was going on. He had been at Felix's and they were going to go fight the horde of grebs...but now... Harry tried to move his arms and legs, but realized he was tied to a chair.

In front of him stood Lily and Felix. "I can't believe command authorized this, it's too early," said Felix.

"Well you know how they are," replied Lily.

"What...what's going on?" croaked Harry.

Lily and Felix turned to him and Harry realized that Lily was holding a little greb. Quickly and before Harry realized what was happening, Lily put the greb in his ear.

Harry struggled against it, but a moment later he was still.

"How do you feel?" asked Felix.

"Grebtacular."

The three grebs smiled and said, "We are legion."

(Prompt by RuairĂ­ Kennedy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica