Skip to main content

Town Christmas tree

Jack didn't mind that the town called him 'Frosty.' He'd gotten this nickname about a decade ago at the town's first annual Christmas tree lighting. It was a shame that the tradition only started 10 years ago as it was now the most beloved town even. Over the years, the simple countdown to lighting the large town tree had grown to include the elementary school choir performing Christmas songs, hot cocoa and snacks being sold to benefit the town's less fortunate, a toy drive for kids in the town who may otherwise go without presents, a snowman making contest, a town-wide snowball fight, a Santa lookalike contest, ice sculptures, and a large bonfire for the town to roast marshmallows on.

That first year though, when it had just been lighting the tree, Jack had been assigned as the lighting operator. Wanting to be a bit festive, he had worn a snowman sweater. After turning on the lights, Jack realized he was standing a bit too close and everyone in town saw his dorky Christmas sweater. Slightly embarrassed, he'd tried to back out of the line of sight, but had tripped and fallen in the snow. From then on, he was the town's Frosty the Snowman. In the moment he fell, Jack had been embarrassed and wished he could just cover himself with the snow, but soon he realized that the town loved and appreciated his help in starting the town's tradition. Frosty, in addition to remaining the lighting operator, was now the head judge of the snowman making contest and was the one to announce the starting of the snowball fight.

And so, it was the night of the big tree lighting and Frosty was hard at work. He was checking that everything was in place for the tree (which seemed to get bigger every year) when he saw a young kid sitting sadly on a bench holding a cup of cocoa. The kid was in the school's choir uniform, but she was sitting far from the rest of the choir and looked far more down-trodden than any kid with hot chocolate should look.

Frosty started to walk towards her and, as he did, he realized it was his own niece, Samantha. He had been at her house just a few days ago and Sam was chattering on about how excited she was to perform for the first time.

When Frosty reached the bench, he took a seat next to her. "Hey, Sam. Why aren't you with the choir?"

Sam looked up at him with huge, watery, green eyes. She then took her phone out of her pocket and sent him a text.

Perplexed, Frosty pulled out his phone and saw that she'd said:
I got sick and lost my voice

Frosty frowned, "I'm sorry, kiddo." He then tried to smile as big as he could without looking odd, "But there's a lot more to the festival than that. You can build a snowman or fight in the snowball fight."

Sam's eyes somehow got sadder and she sent him another text:
Mom and dad say i can't do those cause it's too cold and i'll get sicker

"Oh, well maybe after the tree lighting we can go look at the ice sculptures or go to the Santa lookalike contest together?" Frosty loved spending time with his niece and he really wanted to cheer her up.

Another text came up quickly though:
Mom and dad said I have to go home and rest after the lighting

Frosty looked at his sad niece, sipping cocoa slowly since it was still steaming and had an idea. He sent a quick text to his sister, Sam's mom, and then held out his hand to Sam. "Come with me, kiddo."

The two of them walked back to the lighting operation and Frosty took time to show her all of the switches (after quickly putting her hot cocoa far away from the equipment). When the town had gathered around the tree, Frosty showed Sam a special switch.

The town began to count down:

"5, 4..."

"Flick the switch, Sam"

"2, 1..."

Sam flicked the switch and the tree lit up the town. The wonder in Sam's eye's warmed Frosty's heart. After seeing what she'd done, Sam turned to Frosty and hugged him harder than he'd thought, sending them both careening backwards into the snow.

And that is how the final addition to the town's tree lighting began:
Snow angel marathon

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica