Skip to main content

Unexpected journey

I groggily got out of bed. Yeah getting out of bed shouldn't be this hard, but it was my day off and I had wanted to sleep in. But nooOOOoo, my neighbors were redoing their bathroom so I was awakened nice and early.

Shuffling across the short distance from my bed to the bathroom, I began to wonder if I could generate enough static electricity to zap my neighbors. Not enough to kill them or anything, just enough to remind them that there were other people in the apartment building and they liked to sleep. I knew this was probably not possible, but it was still more fun to think about than how my relaxing day in was ruined.

I reached for my bathroom door and twisted the knob.

CLICK

I pulled it open and inside was not my bathroom. I blinked hard, thinking perhaps I was seeing things for it was very similar to my bathroom, but everything inside was a mirror image. The plain white sink was on the right instead of the left. The plain white toilet that I kept my extra towels on top of was now on the left and my shower that I probably should clean soon had also jumped sides. This must be what my neighbors' bathroom looks like, I realized. Had I somehow slept in their apartment? I closed the door and whipped around.

No, my room was still my room. It had the two sets of gold alligator bookends, the photo of my nephew, and the figurines I collect. I had to be in my apartment. How then had I opened the door to my neighbors' bathroom?

I reached for the door again and twisted the knob.

CLICK

"What the..." I trailed off to myself. Now I was looking in to a gorgeous bathroom that certainly couldn't belong to anyone in our apartment building. It was far, far too lavish for us. There was deep green marble covering the entire bathroom, making it look as though it was one object. Where the deep sink met the floor, I couldn't tell. I could see from my vantage point that the tub even had whirlpool jets.

Curious, I closed the door again and then quickly twisted the knob once more.

CLICK

Somehow I knew this bathroom. After staring at it for a moment I realized what it was. It was the bathroom at my favorite museum, it had even won awards for being a nice bathroom. Somehow I found this an even more confusing discover because the other bathrooms had been at least roughly the size of my bathroom, but this was gigantic. How could it fit in my apartment? Oh sure, that's what you've decided to focus on, thanks brain. Not even going to try and figure out how ANY different bathroom got here, just going to wonder, 'huh that looks bigger.'

With frustration at my own brain, I closed the door again before twisting the knob again.

CLICK

This time there was a worse surprise. I had definitely opened the door to a gas station bathroom. The one advantage it had over my own bathroom was that there was incredibly creative graffiti on the wall done by an artists who was clearly compensating for something.

I then decided to rapidly open and close the door as man times as I could.

CLICK

Bathroom at a seafood restaurant that got way too carried away with the decor.

CLICK

A powder room at a fancy restaurant that smelled far too much of roses.

CLICK

Someone has a rubber duck themed bathroom and it was far from a little too much.

CLICK

"Hey, this is the men's room!"

CLICK

College dorm bathroom with all the smells of weed and cleaned up vomit to go with it.

CLICK

Drab office bathroom with a dying plant surely someone was meant to be taking care of.

CLICK

A bathroom dominated by small children if the scattered toys and general disarray were anything to go by.

CLICK

A Star Wars themed bathroom. Okay, I could get into this one.

CLICK

"Oh," I said a little disappointed. It was my own bathroom again complete with it's consistently boring aesthetic. At last, I understood my neighbors. With all the bathrooms out there, why would I ever stick with the boring one that my apartment came with?

Still though, they should've let me sleep.

(Prompt by me)
Photo from Internet Archive Book Images

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica