Skip to main content

15 Recommendations in and Around Galway

Hey All,

Sorry it was another long day, so here's another easy post. Here are things you should check out in and around Galway.

  1. Get a cone at Murphy's Ice Cream. Okay this was my first time there today and I really can't recommend enough. Try all the flavors you want and then get a cone with two (this is the standard if you can believe it).
  2. Travel with Wild Atlantic Tours. My mom, my stepdad, and I went on two of these and they were great. We did a combined Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher tour which was only one (long) day, but it was incredible. We also did a great Connemara trip where we got to see a ton of stuff, but also had some time to explore.
  3. See the Cliffs of Moher from the sea. I had seen the cliffs before, but they're so much more majestic from the sea. Admittedly though, I still don't get the profundity of "From the sea you see the cliffs and from the cliffs you see the sea."
  4. Go to Connemara National Park. It's so worth a trip and when the sun hits the gorse, it just lights up all your surroundings.
  5. Go to Judy Greene's Pottery. I just have a ton of fun looking around this shop. And now I have donkey milk soap in the shape of a pig, so I think that's a win.
  6. Have tea at Cupan Tae. Admittedly, my mom and stepdad had a bad time there, but I actually had a tea that I would excitedly drink (this is a first).
  7. See a storyteller. I have a favorite in Galway, but I know there must be others, so I would really recommend seeing one.
  8. Have some wine and cheese at the Black Gate Cultural Center. They have very good wine and truly incredible cheese plates.
  9. Tour the craft village in Spiddal. I was pretty shocked to find out that only one of the three guide books my mom had access to mentioned Spiddal. I'm not saying spend a weekend here, but the craft village is well worth a visit and you can get some handmade gifts for others or for yourself (I have a Connemara marble necklace and matching earrings).
  10. Find the medieval spots in Galway. You can do this by having a good wander around or joining a walking tour. Either way, I would recommend learning about how old this city truly is.
  11. Eat at High Cafe. It has Italian and Moroccan food that come in huge, delicious portions. Plus, it's BYOB which means dinner is a good price.
  12. Stroll along the Corrib. The Corrib is incredibly fast but also has lovely walks and benches along it.
  13. Tour bookstores. I recently learned there's another bookstore I need to make my way to! Kenny's here I come (someday)!
  14. At least consider getting something made out of wool. My stepdad now owns a new sweater and scarf. Really there are so many cute shops to browse that you should have fun at least looking.
  15. Walk along the Salthill Promenade. This is honestly weather permitting, but it's so pretty and worth the time.

Okay that's it for now!

(Prompt by me)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica