Skip to main content

If Hitler made it as an artist

I've been thinking a lot about this prompt which is why I didn't do it right away. Now maybe that's cheating on the whole concept of my blog, but oh well, I make the rules anyways so I guess I get to decide when I break them.

As many know, Hitler, at one point in his life, wanted to be an artist, but couldn't make it as one (I can't remember if he got rejected from art school or was kicked out to be honest). So it seems pretty logical to wonder, what would have happened if this part of his life was different?

The answer that in many ways in the most pleasant to say is that the horrific atrocities that he spearheaded would not have happened. There would be no concentration camps, no gas chambers, no yellow stars. Millions would have lived to have families and pass on their religion and culture. And then, on a smaller scale, perhaps paintings of Hitler's would hang in art museums and be discussed by art critics. While this wouldn't end all of the world's problems by a long shot, it does seem like there would be a certain amount of additional peace in the world.

Sadly, I don't think the answer is that simple. While, yes, Hitler was the leader of the crimes against humanity, he was far from alone. Who's to say that someone else would not have been the leader? Who's to say that Hitler, the successful artist, would not have then joined in that person's ranks? He may even have just become one of the artists producing propaganda that would be used so cruelly. Or perhaps he would not have gotten involved at all, but the atrocities, in some form or another, would still have happened. The world could be little different, except that the name we all know as an example of evil among us would not be Hitler.

Perhaps an inflated ego regarding his art would have propelled him more into wanting a rise to power. After all, he could believe he was even more talented and brilliant in this alternate reality than in the one where he failed as an artist. In this universe, I imagine his work still ending up in museums. But not in art ones where people judge the work purely for its vision, but in crime ones or history ones where it is heavily contextualized. After all, the work of serial killer John Wayne Gacy is highly prized among some people and does hang in some museums. Hitler killed far many more people than Gacy and I believe that if there is a market for serial killer art, surely there would be a market for murderous dictator art. There would also certainly be a market among the nazis who still exist. Hitler and his crimes are still revered by some, as terrible as that is, and I bet they would pay top dollar for an original Hitler.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's hard to know how one thing will change history. Yes, maybe Hitler being a successful artist would have changed history for the better, but perhaps it would not have changed the big picture at all and there's even a possibility that it could have been worse. Who truly knows? Until we can mess with the timeline, I suppose no one does.

(Prompt by Maria Nicolaisen)
Image from Crime Museum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica