Skip to main content

Reacting to "Eugene Ranks the Most Popular Reality TV Shows"

Watch the video here.

  1. I like having Becky and Alex here
  2. I love the Real Housewife intro
  3. Gotta love a patriarchy joke
  4. I'll be using their criteria too
  5. Yeah they should've let American Idol just die
  6. Ryan Seacrest conspiracy time
  7. Which came first...X-Factor or American Idol?
  8. Never watched either X-Factor or The Voice
  9. Actually never watched Dancing with the Stars either
  10. I'd go: American Idol, X-Factor, Dancing with the Stars, and then The Voice. American Idol's concept is what launched everything else so I don't think you can put it lower than first. X-Factor actually seems to have launched some careers. The Voice doesn't seem to have launched careers, isn't original, and isn't as trashy as Dancing with the Stars so it has to be last.
  11. The Real World is such a revolutionary show
  12. I've never watched Big Brother
  13. Shark Tank I've also never watched but yeah some products have come out of it
  14. I've also never watched Jersey Shore but it is iconic
  15. So I'd rank (and agree): The Real World, Jersey Shore, Shark Tank, and then Big Brother. The Real World has influenced so many reality shows that it has to be first plus it has the trashy factor. Jersey Shore is iconic, has famous characters, and is trashy. Shark Tank has an original concept even if it isn't trashy and it has produced real things. Big Brother (as far as I understand it) is just the evilest version of Survivor so it's not original and not trashy enough to overcome last place in this category.
  16. My opinions are greatly influenced by what I've actually watched by the way
  17. Now was Top Chef the first of these? Internet tells me Hell's Kitchen was first
  18. Because Hell's Kitchen is the oldest, has a strong character, and is trashy, I'd put it first. So my order is: Hell's Kitchen, Great British Bake Off, Top Chef, and then Chopped. GBBO I put next because I think it's wholesomeness is somewhat original for reality TV and it has strong characters. Top Chef is next because it's not that original and has mildly strong characters. Chopped is last because I don't think it's that original, that trashy, or has strong characters.
  19. Real Housewives is iconic
  20. I've never watched Keeping Up with the Kardashians
  21. Three of these shows premiered in 2006 (Kardashians premiered in 2007)
  22. My order (in agreement): Real Housewives, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, The Hills, and Million Dollar Listing. Now I've only watched Real Housewives so take things with a grain of salt. However, it is too iconic not to be the first. While Keeping Up with the Kardashians isn't an original concept, the characters are so strong and it is trashy to push it to second place. The Hills was definitely important but I think it's faded so much from interest so it's third. Million Dollar Listing is a show I was shocked to learn had so many seasons so I don't think it's that original, has that strong characters, and I don't think the premise is meant to be trashy.
  23. Survivor is also iconic
  24. My order: Survivor, The Challenge, Amazing Race, and Naked and Afraid. Survivor, again, is a show too iconic not to be first. Now The Challenge and Amazing Race are close. But The Challenge came first, has stronger characters because they reuse people from other shows, and is trashier so it beats Amazing Race. I'm shocked to learn that Naked and Afraid lasted more than one season. I know so little about it so it is last (yes that is my bias, but all rankings like this is based on opinion an therefore biased).
  25. I am also going to base my rankings before the current controversy because that's what they did
  26. The Bachelorette is better than The Bachelor
  27. I've watched a lot of Teen Mom
  28. I love Married at First Sight
  29. This is the toughest ranking yet: The Bachelorette, The Bachelor, Teen Mom, Married at First Sight. Now I've watched all four of these shows a fair bit to a lot. The Bachelor is the most original concept, but The Bachelorette is a better concept and has stronger characters (they're equally trashy). Teen Mom's general premise isn't that original but it has strong characters and is trashy. Married at First Sight is somewhat original in that they're married at first sight but isn't that original in that it's watching people be matched up. The characters aren't that strong as most fade after their one season and I think it isn't as trashy as Teen Mom.
  30. ANTM is also iconic
  31. The Biggest Loser ruined people's lives...it has to be at the bottom
  32. Say Yes to the Dress is lovely
  33. Project Runway is also iconic
  34. My ranking: ANTM, Project Runway, Say Yes to the Dress, Biggest Loser. Biggest Loser wrecked people's lives so it's at the bottom. ANTM gives you trash and characters so strongly. Project Runway has strong characters and a dash of trash. Say Yes to the Dress has strong characters.
  35. My dealer's choice is Are You the One?
  36. Flavor of Love was a lot
  37. Vanderpump Rules is a solid spinoff but people are super problematic
  38. The Girls Next Door is one I had not even heard of
  39. I don't think The Girls Next Door is iconic
  40. RuPaul's Drag Race is iconic
  41. My ranking: RuPaul's Drag Race, Vanderpump RulesFlavor of Love, The Girls Next Door. The Girls Next Door is last because I've literally never heard of it. RuPaul's Drag Race is first because I agree with what Eugene said. Vanderpump Rules is super trashy and a very successful spinoff. Flavor of Love didn't establish that many characters but it is super trashy. However, if I add in my category, Are You the One? is first.
  42. AYTO is trashy in the best way. It casts really well (admittedly no one has gotten super famous off of it). At its core it is a complicated math problem which makes it really original. Go watch it and I will talk to you for days.
  43. So my final things to rank are: Are You the One?, American Idol, The Real World, Hell's Kitchen, The Real Housewives, Survivor, The Bachelorette, ANTM.
  44. I think my final rankings are: Are You the One? (this is one of my favorite shows ever), Survivor (strong characters, original concept, and undeniably super successful), ANTM (I'm going to go watch some right now), The Real Housewives (is it even possible to count how much money the various franchises have made?), The Bachelorette (it's so successful, has strong characters, and is trashy), The Real World (it's too important to genre to be any lower, but isn't as good as the others), American Idol (admittedly I used to be really into this show, but it really should've been left to end), Hell's Kitchen (trashy and a strong character, but I wouldn't choose to watch this ever)
  45. What are your rankings?

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the