Skip to main content

15 minutes of Chant O'Cúileann brainstorming, part 4

So I got very into doing this for Rivulet so I got my other DM to help me brainstorm more of Chant's backstory and relationships. This post is mostly working on my mother and father. Also I use the first person and these spellings are subject to change.

  • Myself
    • Personality and backstory
      • Gullible
        • Since I was treated poorly by many throughout my life, when someone is nice to me I immediately believe them though deep trust is hard for me
        • Also susceptible to peer pressure
      • Can be a goody-two-shoes, not really in regards to law but in regards to intent
      • Not that confident in my appearance, but I'm working on that
        • I can't tell when someone is flirting with me most of the time in part because I don't believe they would be flirting with me
        • Celeste helps
      • While I deeply love Celeste, I do still appreciate a pretty face
      • I have come to really love playing my flute and am getting more comfortable with being in the spotlight
        • However, I can't always tell when people don't want to hear my flute music
      • If someone is in trouble, I’m always ready to lend help
      • Despite growing up around animals, I only became good with them with my flute. My horns spooked a lot of animals growing up
      • Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people
      • Ideal: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect
      • Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves
      • I have trouble trusting in my allies, but I've mostly overcome this through bonding wiht my adventuring party
        • However, I am scared to lose them so I sometimes suppress what I want in favor of what they want
      • I have been discriminated against because of being a tiefling so I'm strongly for equality of all races
      • I grew up on a ranch in Bevevin with my parents and grandmother. While I enjoyed the peace of it all, I never fit in as I was a tiefling in a seemingly all human family. When I was young, weird things started happening around me and we were all in denial that I had magic until an incident (described below). Many in town thought I was cursed both because of my appearance and because of the magical incidents. I was often thought to be the cause of trouble in town and was often scapegoated
      •  I originally did just want to fit in and be like my parents, but as my adventures have continued I yearn for more
    • Appearance and physicality
      • Tiefling
      • 21 years old
      • Black, thick curls, often teased to help hide horns
      • Black sheep horns
      • White skin with deep red freckles
      • All white eyes, no pupils
      • 6'7" (was 5'7" but a wild magic surge made me a foot taller)
      • Thicc
      • Has a limp (also from a wild magic surge)
      • I have a tail that lashes when I'm angry but I often keep it tied up in a spiral on my back to hide it
  • Celeste (my girlfriend)
    • Personality and backstory
      • From a well-off family
      • Has magic, but that was a secret so she was scurried off to her aunt and the druids so the church wouldn't force her to be part of the military (or worse)
      • Innate disguise self ability
      • Druid
        • Wild shape (can become animals)
          • Eager to learn more shapes
          • If not channeled properly, it comes out at random
            • This is one of the reasons she is training with the durids
        • Born with magic
      • Her favor, once lost, is lost forever
      • Ideal: Independence. She must prove that she can handle herself without the coddling of her family
      • There’s nothing she likes more than a good mystery
      • Most people scream and run when they see a demon. She stops and takes notes on its anatomy
      • Prefers more masculine clothing
      • Has a bit of a cocky confidence about her (I find this very attractive)
      • Is Morgata's niece
    • Appearance and physicality
      • Innate disguise self ability
      • Race: Half-elf
      • Gender: Female
      • Rough age: Early 20s, but hard to tell
      • Height: 6'0"
      • Eyes: Purpley-blue
      • Hair: Brown with a light wave
      • Skin: White
      • Other physical features:
        • Beautiful
        • Has an elegance about her even when she's rough and tumble
    • Relationship with me 
      • We felt an immediate deep connection to each other
      • I believe it is meant to be and she thinks the same
  • Morgata (my friend)
    • Personality and backstory
      • Knew my grandmother
      • Is Celeste's aunt
      • Opinionated, quietly stubborn
      • Became a druid
      • Liason to and spy for the druids
        • Was once a part of them but had a philosophical disagreement with them so she left
      • After she left the druids, she met my grandmother
      • As a child she grew up in a small town on the edge of a forest. She was always entranced by the beauty of the forest and frequently "ran away from home" into the forest to explore and make friends with animals and plants. She soon discovered her magic and felt it was her calling.
      • As a young adult she knew that she needed to leave her small town and find others of her magic kind.
      • What caused her to put the mantel down and decide to spy on the enemy from the inside?
        • She started to feel her age and then got into a fight with my grandmother. She decided she didn't need to be visiting Bevevin anymore and would be better off serving the druids by getting in a view on the inside
    • Appearance and physicality
      • Race: Human
      • Gender: Female
      • Rough age: Similar age to my grandmother
      • Height: 5'8"
      • Eyes: Greenish hazel
      • Hair: Salt and pepper (more salt than pepper)
      • Skin: Pale, pinkish
      • Other physical features:
        • Recent scars from being held captive
        • High cheekbones
    • Relationship with me
      • Longest relationship she's really had with people is probably my grandmother and then me and my companions
      • Is a mentor
      • Wants to tell me more about my grandmother but feels it isn't fully her place
  • Tara O'Cúileann (my grandmother)
    • Personality and backstory
      • Lived whole life in Bevevin
      • Was part of a Bevevin coven
      • Met my grandfather because he came to Bevevin looking for druids
      • When my grandfather left (and was later murdered), she went to a big city to look for my grandfather 
        • She never found him and decided to never again venture out into the world
        • She was going to get married to a local man, but found herself pregnant and so he ended their engagement. She gave birth to my father and raised him on her own. They are fairly close because it was just the two of them. It was hard for her to initially accept my mother, but once she saw the love between them she welcomed her with open arms
        • Will be simultaneously devastated and overjoyed to learn that he was murdered and didn't just abandon her while she was pregnant
      • Bond: It is her duty to protect me
      • Good at keeping secrets
      • Is tight-lipped about her more carefree and wild youth
      • Has a lesson for every situation, drawn from observing nature
      • She places no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry owlbear
      • Ideal:Sanctuary. She knows the forces at work in the world and strives to create islands apart from them
    • Appearance and physicality
      • Race: Human
      • Gender: Female
      • Rough age: 60s
      • Height: 5'6" (though is a bit stooped so she's a bit shorter)
      • Eyes: Light jade green
      • Hair: Gray, curly
      • Skin: Pale with freckles
      • Other physical features:
        • Her body shows signs of having worked on a a farm her whole life
    • Relationship with me
      • Taught me a fair bit
        • Tried to teach me indirectly about magic
        • Taught me recipes
        • Taught me superstitions that now as a magic-user make more sense to me
      • A mentor
      • Loves me dearly
      • I remind her of her lost love
  • Róisín O'Cúileann (my mother)
    • Personality and backstory
      • She grew up in a nearby small town. She was usually one to keep to herself, but had a small circle of close friends. She delighted in being in the countryside and found peace in nature. Unlike her friends, she never desired to move to a big city. She was always more content with a life in the countryside.
      • Her father traded his goods in Bevevin and she would often accompany him to help. Her mother died at a young age so she was very close with her father but longed for a mother figure. On one of these trips to Bevevin she met Eoin and the two quickly fell in love. At first his mother, Tara, was wary of her but quickly they proved that they were deeply in love and Tara became a mother figure to her. 
      • It took a while for them to get pregnant and then one day she found that her period was late. She was delighted to be pregnant and had a joyous pregnancy. However, birth was very difficult and painful. While she was shocked to have given birth to a tiefling, she loved me dearly and was very protective of me, trusting very few to look after me especially as she feared they would try and "fix" me. While she loved me, she found raising me difficult and decided not to have any more children.
      • Shy, feels far more comfortable around animals than people
      • Ideal: Nature. The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization
      • Bond: My family is the most important thing in her life, even when they are far from her
      • While a kind woman, she remembers every insult she's received and nurses a silent resentment toward anyone who’s ever wronged her
    • Appearance and physicality
      • Race: Human
      • Gender: Female
      • Rough age: 43ish
      • Height: 5'7"
      • Eyes: Green
      • Hair: Blonde, curly
      • Skin: Pale with freckles
      • Other physical features:
        • Thicc
    • Relationship with me
      • Said that Ayder loves all his children to try and explain all of the weird stuff around me all the time as she was in denial 
      • Loves me dearly and is protective of me and tried to keep me on the ranch as much as possible and would repremand me for leaving and abandoning my chores
      • Often felt that she could not relate to me, but she loved and supported me and resented those who slighted me
      • Bonded even more with Tara after my birth
      • Despite my horns, my face takes much after my mother
  • Eoin O'Cúileann (my father)
    • Personality and backstory
      • Raised by a single mother, he grew up with a great respect for women and a wariness for those who would judge his mother for being a single parent
      • He grew up working hard on the family ranch, but never truly wanted for more than to be sure his family was taken care of
      • See his story with Róisín above
      • Enjoys whittling
      • Ideal:
      • Bond: My family is the most important thing in his life, even when they are far from him
      • He watches over his friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups
        • He has gained a lot of respect in town for his whittling, his high quality goods, and his his personable nature
        • He does not have many friends, but those he does have are very dear to him
      • Ideal: Honor. If he dishonor himself, he dishonors his whole clan
      • While a kind man he is horribly jealous of anyone who outshines his handiwork
      • Like his wife, he remembers slights against him and his family
    • Appearance and physicality
      • Race: Human
      • Gender: Male
      • Rough age: 44ish
      • Height: 6'2"
      • Eyes: Blue
      • Hair: Black, with curls
      • Skin: Pale with freckles
      • Other physical features:
        • Body shows signs of having worked hard his whole life
    • Relationship with me
  • Shrek (my donkey)
    • Personality and backstory
    • Appearance and physicality
    • Relationship with me
      • I am fiercely protective of him
      • He was the only animal that didn't cower from me
  • Faye Gibbons (my childhood friend and first kiss)
    • Personality and backstory
      • Left Bevevin recently (2ish years ago) to pursue acting in a bigger city
      • Came from a fellow farming family
      • Very kind, didn't bully me or exclude me like other kids
      • Yearned for the big city life
      • Artistic--an actress
      • Knows a story relevant to almost every situation
      • Nobody stays angry at her or around her for long, since she can defuse any amount of tension
      • Ideal: Beauty. When she performs, she makes the world better than it was
      • Wants to be famous, whatever it takes
    • Appearance and physicality
      • Race: Human
      • Gender: Female
      • Rough age: 22
      • Height: 5'3" (shortish)
      • Eyes: Deep blue
      • Hair: Auburn, straight
      • Skin: Pale with a splay of brown freckles
      • Other physical features:
        • Rough hands from working on another farm
        • In good shape
    • Relationship with me
      • When we were tweens we both shyly shared that we'd never kissed anyone and decided to kiss each other to share that we'd done it
        • I had a crush on her, but she didn't return my feelings and I felt heartbroken
          • Our friendship suffered for this, but we remained friendly until she left town (truth be told, I carried a flame for her until she left even though she'd broken my heart)
      • I really appreciated her because she was kind to me unlike many others
      • I was too afraid of rejection from her to tell her officially about my magic, but I always suspected that she suspected
  • The O'Cúileann ranch (where I grew up)
    • Dairy
      • Goats
        • I loved them as a kid until I was teased by kids saying my real father was a goat
      • Cattle
    • Cloth
      • Sheep
    • Would pretend to do work and then kind of wander off and play with my magic
    • I love animals, but my horns spooked them a fair bit
  • My education
    • Partially home-taught
    • Went to Ayderian school
      • Father Tulles was my teacher
      • Taught Ayderian religion
      • I paid a lot of attention and loved to learn
    • My grandmother taught me a fair bit
      • Tried to teach me indirectly about magic
      • Taught me recipes
      • Taught me superstitions that now as a magic-user make more sense to me

  • My magic
    • It was denied by my parents until an incident
  • Palar (a fellow PC)
    • Relationship with me prior to joining the party (work with player on)
  • Tamara (a fellow PC)
    • Relationship with me prior to joining the party
      • I loved the bakery and visited there often. However, Tamara would stare at my horns because Tamara was curious because she always wanted an adventure and a break from the life set out for that and I would have been a mysterious figure representing that
      • Tamara was always kind but she made me feel noticed which made me uncomfortable
  • Supibosque

(Prompt by one of my DMs [kinda])

Image produced by me through Midjourney AI (ask me more about it if you're curious!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the