Skip to main content

15 ideas to make dental appointments more relaxing

I went to the dentist the other day and while I'm mostly fine at the dentist, I did start to think about how the experience could be better! Some of these ideas are the same or similar to ones I wrote in "15 things I'd try to do if I ran a spa". 

  1. Allow patients to pick their soundtrack (the dental practice could have playlists for them to choose from as well as allow them to submit a playlist/audiobook/podcast of their own ahead of time to be sure whoever is providing them services is okay with that playlist's/audiobook's/podcast's content and tone)
  2. Alternatively, allow patients to wear headphones so they can listen to whatever they want
  3. Or, maybe at least give me something to look at? Like a screen with a show to watch or cool art or even just a window I can see out of (it could be high up so people can't see into the room)
  4. Provide an option for patients to meet with the dentists or technicians who will be providing them service beforehand so they can be comfortable and learn more about whatever cleanings or procedures are being done
  5. Train staff how to check in with patients throughout (e.g. asking patients before services start if they want steps etc. explained to them before they happen, allowing patients chances to say if they're comfortable or not, or being able to adjust when someone says something is making them anxious or hurts)
  6. Thoroughly go over with staff how to approach patients non-judgmentally
  7. Purchase size-inclusive treatment chairs (I fit on the chair, but I couldn't lay my arms beside me on the chair which was uncomfortable)
  8. As I kid, I got to pick a toy out of the toybox at the end of my appointment...can we have something like that for adults with silly little stickers and prizes we might enjoy?
  9. Also as a kid, I remember getting to pick the flavor of toothpaste (or whatever exact product it is) that they used to polish my teeth...why did that stop?
  10. Also, if there are flavors of floss, can those be offered too?
  11. Offer weighted blankets for anxious patients (or allow them to bring their own)
  12. Or, perhaps heated blankets?
  13. Have stuffed animals anxious patients can cuddle during their treatments (or allow them to bring their own)
  14. If it'd be possible, it'd be relaxing to have like an electric neck or back massage thing to use
  15. Reserve at least one room for just quiet and comfy relaxing time that patients can either sign up for before/after appointments or use ad hoc (if it is not in-use)

(Prompt by me)

Photo by Jossuha Théophile on Unsplash


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...