Skip to main content

Starting my parental journey, part 8

You can read part 1 hereread part 2 hereread part 3 hereread part 4 hereread part 5 here, read part 6 here, and read part 7 here.

I have begun birth control again. Now, that may sound like I'm bailing out of my fertility journey, but it's actually the opposite. In order to get everything ready for the egg retrieval, I need to hop on birth control for a little bit and then hop off. It feels a bit odd to be taking oral birth control, have a birth control arm implant, and be getting ready for an egg retrieval--but that's how it goes (for me at least--getting to keep the arm implant is rare or so I'm told).

People have asked me how I'm feeling about this round of egg retrieval and honestly, I haven't thought about it much yet. I am focused on a big stressful event for work and then C2E2 (Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo--basically, Chicago's Comic-Con) which I attend every year. Because of these two events (one stressful, one fun), I delayed my egg retrieval until next month. Otherwise, taking the meds would be too complicated and I wouldn't feel very good at these events.

But, I feel like I should take some time to think about how I'm feeling now. In some ways, I'm nervous. The doctor said that this time we'd be more aggressive with the medication so maybe I'll feel more side effects than I did last time. I'm also just nervous that I will have forgotten how to do everything and will have to psych myself up for the injections again. But those are both more minor concerns. I'm mostly nervous about not getting the number of eggs I want yet again. Now, I know that two cycles is what's typical for egg retrieval, but I felt so hyped up to expect to get it in one that I kinda came crashing down. What if this time we get even fewer or--worst case--none at all?

The none at all scenario is also prevalent in my mind because of my weight. I have gained weight since the procedure in February and I'm getting close to being too heavy for them to perform it at all (at least by their standards). What if I do all the steps, get to the procedure room, and then weigh too much? I want to lose weight for a number of reasons (though I'd be lying if I said aesthetics wasn't the number one reason), but I really fear gaining weight during this period of time. I don't want to do anything unhealthy to lose weight during this time, but I also want to be a little more conscious of my choices (though without shaming myself and bringing down my mental health).

I also worry about the increase in medication making me moodier. I have a lot going on in my life that already can put me in a mood at times and I don't really want to make those moods more extreme. This ties back in with my weight gain fear because--to be honest--one of my biggest coping mechanisms is food.

However, I'm also excited about doing another round. I feel like I'm taking control again and that I am setting my future self up to have more options and be freer. Perhaps I will have to try and focus on that.

I'll end this post like I ended my last one. If you have the time and energy, please keep me in your thoughts and/or prayers as I go through all of it, and see this post about ways to support me through it if you're wondering what I may need/want during this time.

(Prompt by me)

"Pregnancy/Baby Bump" by Alabama Extension


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the